Today I downloaded DPM 2012 SP1. I ran the installation only to find out that DPM 2012 installed was the BETA version, you can check the version number here:
There is no direct upgrade path from BETA to RTM unless you install RC first and this is normally only available for MS Tap Customers.
I went to the Control Panel -> Programs and Features and I uninstalled DPM 2012 Beta. I left my data in place as I was now going to install DPM 2012 RTM. The uninstall went very smoothly. After the download of DPM 2012 RTM of about 2.8 GB, I extracted the files and started the install.
Installation went quickly with no errors at all. I then wanted to install DPM 2012 SP1 but before you can do that you need to install the following update or else the DPM installation will abort and give you an error that you need to install KB2706783.
Finally all updates are installed and it is time to install DPM 2012 SP1. The same splash screen appears as with the normal installation, once you get to the prerequisites SQL prompts you to make a backup before upgrading. The next few steps are simply about viewing the info and clicking next. Once you get to the install screen SQL 2008 is already marked as a success and DPM itself starts updating.
The installation takes about 20-25 min, well this is on my server. Afterwards I updated the Agents on my Exchange Server but on my SharePoint server it kept failing with error code: 1603. Normally this means that the Windows Installer Service is disabled, we it was set to Manual and was started so that fix was ruled out.
I uninstalled the AV, Agent and rebooted the server, I tried to push the Agent to SharePoint and it kept failing, I then manually mapped a drive to the DPM server and ran the installer DPMAgentInstaller_64.exe DPM Server Name. This also failed with error code: 0x80070514. I found that the server had a pending reboot, I rebooted the server and after that I was able to deploy the DPM Agent from the DPM Console.