Failed to connect to the configuration database when adding server to SharePoint 2013 farm

Today I installed a new SharePoint 2013 Server to add to my existing farm.

I installed SQL and all the prerequisites for SharePoint, rebooted a couple of times.

After all the installs I installed the April 2014 CU for SharePoint as the second server needs to match the existing one.

The install takes a little while but all was successful. When I launched the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard and chose to connect to the existing farm I was presented with the error below:

sharepoint product configuration

When I tried to open the data base of the existing server on this server from SQL Management Studio I was presented with the follow error:

  • The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context.

In Active Directory, I opened the computer record for the Database server. In the attribute list, the servicePrincipalName attribute showed the following entries:

Delete the two MSSQLSvc entries as well as the RestrictedKrbHost entries. Restart the DB server and the problem should be resolved.

Hope it helps

Views All Time
Views All Time
Views Today
Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.